Thursday, April 12, 2012

Do You Really Need Muscle Confusion, Machines, Isolation Movements, Training To Failure, Or Any Equipment At All?

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I love my barbells, kettlebells, snadbags, clubbells, and medicine balls. But, I'm also a bodyweight training enthusiast first and formost. Now, over the years I've heard so many so-called experts and "gurus" claim that you need all of the fancy equipment, the machines, etc. in order to get a great body. I'vc also heard these same people claim that you need to constantly change up your routines and use "muscle confusion" principals. That you need to work to absolute muscular failure, and that you need to isolate each and every little muscle group. But, is any of this true?

In my more than a decade and a half of coaching and training people, I'd say no. I've been a successful athlete, with a pretty nice body, and I don't follow any of the above advice, not to toot my own horn. I've also known and trained numerous others that have developed champion athleticism and amazing physiques without using the above. But, I know that you're not just going to take my word for it. So, here's 5 gymnasts to illustrate my point.

Now, gymnasts are notorious for only using their own bodyweight in their training. They constantly practice the same skills day after day, month after month, and year after year (no muscle confusion at all). They don't train to failure. They don't use mahcines. And they're constantly being coached on the fact that the body is all one unit, not a bunch of body parts (no isolation at all). But, you be the judge. would these guys have better bodies if they followed the above principals of confusion, failure, machines, isolation, etc.? I personally don't think so, but I'll let you decide. Also, after using a bunch of pictures of gorgeous women in yesterday's post, I figured I'd be equal opportunity and use some pictures of great looking guys today, just for you female readers.

Now, I don't know about you but to me these guys look pretty incredible. They're also insanely strong and incredibly conditioned. All without trying to isolate or confuse, and without any type of machine, and without going to muscular failure.

Feel free to leave me a comment down below and let me know what you think.

Yours in strength and health,
Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment