Thursday, April 26, 2012

Why Do I Train?


Keeping it real with 1-arm pull-ups at 185 pounds bodyweight

 Of course the most often asked question that I get is, "Brett, how do I drop the pounds/ Brett, how do I lose the fat?" However, one of the other most popular questions is, "Brett, Why do you train?"

Sometimes it'll be followed up with things like, "You don't compete anymore, so why work so hard," or other things like that. Sometimes it's stated as, "Brett, why lift such heavy weights, why swing those clubs and those kettlebells, it looks so hard, why are you working on gymnastics stuff, why are you sprinting hills, why are you pulling a sled as you sprint, etc" but it all comes down to one thing: Why do I train?

For me it's very simple and I'm going to share with you all some of the top reasons.

Frist, I love it. I absolutley love it and to me that should be more than enough reason right there.

Second, to honor God and nature. I firmly believe that our bodies our gifts from god and nature and I don't personally think that they were given to us to take for granted or use and abuse. I believe that god and nature gave us this gift to create the absolute best body that we can. By training I'm able to continue to honor that gift.

Third, to honor my physicallity. I know plenty of people that were born with defects or disabilities, and people that came down with disease or had accidents that caused them to lose their physicality. These people would give almost anything to be able to jump, sprint, throw, lift, tumble, spin, or whatever. So, I plan on never taking for granted the fact that I can do these things. Each time I train it's to honor my physicallity and the abilities that I do have.

Fourth, To create the healthiest body that I possibly can. It's funny that whenever you talk to someone that has had a terminal illness or any type of serious ailments across the board they'll all say the same thing, "Never take your health for granted, it's the most important thing that you have." Yet most people do just that. They take their health for granted, they abuse it and they end up losing it. I don't plan on letting that happen. I train, eat, and recover with optimal health as my first and foremost goal. As a boy I was diagnosed with a degenerative bone disease in my hip and wasn't supposed to be able to walk as of my teenage years. Later on, I almost drowned. Then, in my early 20's I broke my back and was again given a prognosis that I wouldn't be able to have full use of the right side of my body, full strength in the right side of my body, and I'd be in constant pain for the rest of my life. I didn't buy into any of it and I've gone on to fully recover and improve my mobility, strength, stability etc. I know what's it like to lose your health and physicallity, and I don't plan on ever losing it again.

Fifth, to improve my daily life. As you train to become heatlhier, fitter, and stronger a funny thing happens: all areas of your life improve. Your confidence goes up, you feel more alive, you become more productive, you can focus better, you start to look at challenges as things to overcome rather than things to fear, and all things get easier. It's funny that my relationships have improved, I've become better at my job, my writings improved, and so much more by constatnly improving my health and fitness levels.

Sixth, I love the challenge and the growth that occurs because of that challenge. I love putting myself on the line against the iron and against my preconceived limits and overcoming them. I love the fact that my training has constatnly enabled my to grow stronger, not only physically, but also mentally, emotionally, and most importantly, spiritually.

Seventh, I'll admit it, it's nice to have a body that I"m proud of. One that I very rarely go more than a couple of days without getting compliments on. It does feel nice.

Eight, It's nice to know that, God forbid, anyone was to ever try to attack myself or my family that I not only have the training and experience to deal with them, but I also have the physicallity to deal with them.

Well, there you have it, 8 different reasons why I train. While I could go on forever about the reasons, I think these are more than enough. Feel free to leave a comment below. Talk with you all later.

Yours in strenght an health,
Brett Stepan

No comments:

Post a Comment