Friday, November 27, 2015

I find this absolutely hilarious!


Alright, anyone that know me, has read my tips, seen my blogs, my pics, my log or any of my videos knows that I love bodyweight training. I use it a ton, and I really enjoy it. I also tend to get great results from it as well. I love regular calisthenics, bar athletics, gymnastics, acrobatics, martial arts, Dynamic Tension, isometrics and a whole lot of other bodyweight based work.

That being said, I also find this absolutely hilarious.

It seems that I've seen more and more bodyweight courses (books, ebooks, dvds, etc) that use pictures of John Grimek to advertise their courses. Usually it tends to be this picture that they use:


Which is funny in and of itself, being that it's a great picture, but I wouldn't say it's the best Grimek picture out there, lol.

The think I find funny is that these courses will use John Grimek as their "model" for the type of results that you can achieve using their bodyweight course.

Now, I'm a John Grimek fanatic, he's my all time favorite strength and bodybuilding icon, and he's a lifetime hero of mine. But, Grimek was not a bodyweight training athlete.

Yes, he did his share of calisthenics, and he was a good acrobat and hand balancer, but he trained in a lot more disciplines than that. Grimek was a world class Olympic Weightlifter that represented the United States at the Olmpics. He held numerous World Strength Records for barbell lifts. He was an undefeated bobybuilder. And, in his own words, his favorite way to train was with heavy squats and heavy overhead presses, sometimes building entire cycles on nothing but these lifts. And he continued to train with heavy squats and presses, and heavy pulling movements right up to the end of his life.

So, is it really true advertising to use Grimek's image in the ad copy for a bodyweight only training program? I'd say no, I'd say it's false advertising all the way.

And I'm not ripping on bodyweight training by any means at all. I love it and use it myself. And, I can show you dozens of men and women that have created tremendous physiques using noting but bodyweight training. I just think it's funny to use an icon of the weight lifting world to advtertise bodyweight only training.

But, that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment